The Legal Advocacy Program assists survivors of domestic violence with intervention, counseling and legal advocacy wherever domestic violence cases are heard. We walk clients through complex and often confusing legal issues such as Order of Protection, child support and custody, and divorce.
With the safety of future generations in mind, we not only advocate with individual survivors, but also within the legal and law enforcement systems to make them more efficient and effective. Family Rescue understands that for the individual to heal there must be a comprehensive approach to helping that includes the survivor, our advocates, and effective policies enforced by conscientious system personnel.
Advocacy, Prevention, and Intervention
The Legal Advocacy Program (LAP) is involved in advocacy, prevention and intervention at each step of the criminal and civil legal systems. Providing trainings to law enforcement and legal system personnel and participating with coalitions and task forces to make the systems more effective and efficient for domestic violence survivors is an important aspect of this work. LAP advocates are also located in the 3rd District and Area South Chicago Police Stations, and the Centralized Domestic Violence Court of Cook County which makes them more accessible to people in need of advocacy.
A Truly Unique Perspective
- LAP has a consistent presence in a Chicago Police District Station, civil court and misdemeanor and felony criminal courts.
- LAP advocates work toward a comprehensive community approach to preventing and ending domestic violence by chairing the Chicago Police Departments 003rd and 004th District Domestic Violence Subcommittees.
- LAP staff was intricately involved in design and implementation of a coordinated system response to survivors accessing the new Comprehensive Domestic Violence Court of Cook County.
Our on-site advocates provide:
- Crisis intervention
- Assistance with obtaining police reports
- Assistance with obtaining Orders of Protection
- Court accompaniment
- Information and referrals
- Medical and social service advocacy
- Follow-up to families affected by domestic violence
003rd Chicago Police District
7040 South Cottage Grove Ave.
Chicago, IL 60637
p. (312) 747-5493
f. (312) 747-5478
Centralized Domestic Violence Court of Cook County
555 West Harrison, 2nd Floor
Chicago, IL 60607
p. (312) 325-9300
f. (312) 325-9310